Fill the frame game
Play this game with children so that they practise:
- subitising small numbers
- using mathematical language – how many more?
- seeing 5 and 10 as benchmark numbers
Fill the frame to 5
You need two-sided beans and a 5-frame for each player.
Each player takes a turn to:
- Put 3 beans in their cup.
- Shake and spill the beans.
- Put the red beans on the 5-frame and say “I have ….. red beans. I need …..more to make 5”.
Keep playing until someone has 5 red beans.
Note: at the beginning of each turn a player checks they have 3 beans in their cup.
Fill the frame to 10
The same rules as fill the frame to 5 but each player has a 10-frame and puts 5 beans in the cup on each turn.
How many red beans has Digit Dog now got?
How can he work it out? Encourage children to fill the top row first – I can split the 5 beans into 2 and 3, use the 2 to make 5 on the top row and have 3 more on the bottom.
How many more will he need to make 10? How do you know?