How to make a set of Bottle Top Bugs.
Use the tops from plastic milk bottles.
Explore your bugs.
What do you notice?
- Find bugs with the same number of spots.
- Count the spots and put the bugs in order.
- Start to recognise patterns. Say how many spots there are without counting in ones.
- Find the bug with 5 spots. Now find the one with one more than 5, one less than 5, two more/less than 5.
- Find two bugs that have 8 spots altogether. Can you find another two with 8 spots? How many different pairs can you find? How do you know you have found them all?