Use the Digit Dog resources to set up your mathematical challenge area. Young children love the character and are keen to help him solve his mathematical problems.
- All resources needed for a challenge display are available on www.primarytreasurechest.com in English and Welsh. The Digit Dog Maths Challenges banner, posters of Digit Dog and his side-kick, Calculating Cat, and a selection of number lines are easy to download, print and go – complete with double-mounted border.
- Choose your challenge – use as a focus activity and part of enhanced provision:
- the first page of the challenge booklets can be printed and put in the challenge area;
- some images of Digit Dog’s challenges are available on the challenges page and there are many more on @BarnsleyLynwen;
- encourage children to notice what Digit Dog has done wrong e.g. muddling up the numbers on the number line.
- Provide resources so that children can record answers in their own way e.g. postcards and a postbox or post-it notes.
- Display question starters and prompts both for the children and adults – What do you notice? What do you think? Explain your thinking.
When you set up your area we’d love to see the results.