When Digit Dog saw that this year was the Chinese Year of the Pig, it reminded him of the dice game PIG.
PIG is a game for 2 – 6 players
You need one dice.
The aim of the game is to get to 50.
Players take turns to roll the dice as many times as they like, adding the numbers as they go. A player can end their turn at any time and “bank” their points.
BUT if a player rolls a 1, they lose all their unbanked points and their turn is over. When you roll a 1 you shout PIG!
The first player to score 50 or more points wins.
It is Digit Dog’s turn and he throws a 2, 5, 4 and 3. His total so far is 14.
What shall he do now? Shall he throw again and hope that he doesn’t throw a 1? If he throws a 1 he will lose all 14 points. Or shall he bank his 14 points so that they are safe and end his go?
Calculating Cat has banked 20 points from her first turn. On her next turn she throws 2, 6 and 5 so she has 13 points unbanked. What shall she do? Bank the 13 points and add them to her 20 points so that she has a total of 33? Or throw again? If she throws a 1 she will lose her 13 points.
- Change the target score – make it lower or higher. The first player to score 100 or more points wins. The first player to score 30 or more wins.
- Use a 1 – 3 dice and a lower target score.
- Make the calculating more accessible by collecting Numicon shapes each time you roll and put them on the number line.
- Use 2 dice. If a player rolls one 1, their turn ends and they lose their points for that turn. If a player rolls double 1 , their turn ends and they lose all banked points as well as points from that turn.
- Use 2 dice. Rolling one 1 ends the turn and all unbanked points. Throwing a double earns double score – so double 2 = 8 etc. and double 1 scores 25.