Total 6 is an extension of Investigating totals
Put the shapes on the grid but this time each row, column and diagonal has to total 6.
You might want to start by:
- Just making each row total 6. Then try
- Just making each column total 6. Follow this by
- Making both the rows and columns total 6, and finally
- Include the diagonals too.
Which shapes are you using in each row / column? Why?
Is there more than one way of completing the grid?
Look at your partner’s grid. What is the same and what is different?
Make the task more challenging:
- Use digit cards instead of the shapes.
- Don’t give the total – Can you put the Numicon shapes on the grid so that each row, column and diagonal add to the same total?
What do you think the total might be? Why?
How are you going to start? What are you going to try first?
What if.……..you used three different consecutive shapes?
3 twos, 3 threes and 3 fours 3 threes, 3 fours and 3 fives
What will the totals of each row be now?