Digit Dog and Calculating Cat are playing a game. Why don’t you try it?
Race to the eggs – a game for two players
You will need:
The game board (download here), a dice (or a pile of 1 – 6 digit cards) and 6 counters for each player. We made counters from milk bottle tops.
Take turns to throw the dice, say the number thrown and move a counter along the track.
If you land on a paw print, say the number that should be there.
Once you have moved your counter, choose one of the boxes on the side of the board. If you choose:
- Double – double the number on the dice.
- Make 10 – say the number that goes with the number on the dice to make 10.
- 3 – think of 3 ways to make the number on the dice e.g. if you threw a 4 you could say 3 + 1 = 4, 5 – 1 = 4, 2 + 2 = 4.
- More – say a number that is more than the number on the dice.
- Less – say a number that is less than the number on the dice.
If you get the answer correct you can put one of your counters on the rectangle.
The game continues until one player gets to the eggs but you cannot be the winner until you also have a counter on each of your 5 boxes.